Introduction to the Pharmaceutical Sciences an Integrated approach, 2/e
Publisher: Wolters Kluwer
This unique textbook provides an introductory, yet comprehensive overview of the pharmaceutical sciences. It is the first text of its kind to pursue an interdisciplinary approach.
Introduction to the Pharmaceutical
Sciences an Integrated approach, 2/e
This unique textbook provides an introductory, yet comprehensive overview of the pharmaceutical sciences. It is the first text of its kind to pursue an interdisciplinary approach. Readers are introduced to basic concepts related to the specific disciplines in the pharmaceutical sciences, including pharmacology, pharmaceutics, pharmacokinetics, and medicinal chemistry. In an easy-to-read writing style, the book provides readers with up-to-date information on pharmacogenomics and includes comprehensive coverage of industrial drug development and regulatory approval processes. Each chapter includes critical-thinking exercises, as well as numerous figures, tables, and graphs. Many chapters contain review questions, practice problems, and cases. More than 160 illustrations complement the text.
- NEW! Case Studies provide students with real-world examples and encourage them to think critically.
- Detailed illustrations throughout the book help reinforce key principles.
- Emphasis on chemical, biological, and mathematical principles is balanced to help students gain a broad understanding of modern pharmaceutical science and its applications
- Review Questions at the end of each chapter help students evaluate their level of comprehension
- Key Concepts sections provide a quick review of important material.
- Chapter Outlines, tables, and boxes help stude nts master the material.
- Additional Reading section points readers to more information.
Table of Contents
Part I: Drug Chemistry
2. Drugs and Their Targets
3. Ionization of Drugs
4. Solubility and Lipophilicity
Part II: Drug Delivery
5. Transport across Biological Barriers
6. Drug Absorption
7. Drug Delivery Systems
Part III: Drug Disposition
8. Drug Distribution
9. Drug Excretion
10. Drug Metabolism
11. Pharmacokinetic Concepts
Part IV: Drug Action
12. Ligands and Receptors
13. Mechanisms of Drug Action
14. Dose-Response Relationships
Part V: Drug Therapy
15. Therapeutic Variability
16. Drug Interactions
Part VI: Special Topics
18. Biopharmaceutical Drugs
19. Drug Discovery and Approval